Hey, hey, I’m back! Have you missed me? I’ve missed you! Did you have a good 4th? Our daughter came for a visit last week and, great planner that I am, I only managed to have one post scheduled for the week.
Sooo, you know how much I love to take old outdated décor and revive and repurpose. But I also tend to look at new things with the same “possibilities” mindset. My motto should be, “You could always paint it.” That’s what happened with this crown wall art that I found on clearance at Pier One.
I really liked it as is, but the background color blended too much with my taupe walls. Fortunately, the crown was simply attached with a few screws.
I sprayed the board with the same purple spray paint that I used on the lamp makeover with trash can lamp shade. Just as with the lamp, the color was too bright, so I lightly sprayed with looking glass spray paint.
Still not quite what I had in mind. I thought about adding a stencil to mimic the original background, but didn’t have anything on hand that I thought would work. Instead, I brushed on yet another layer of paint, this time using a blend of white and the purple I used on my stenciled area rug, ending up with a similar color to what I used on the wooden wall hanging over my bed.
I didn’t entirely cover the previous layers, retaining some of the darker color, as well as the shimmer from the looking glass paint.
After reattaching the crown, I dipped my finger in white paint and went over the cream color of the wire to give it some brighter highlights. Painting with my finger sometimes gives me greater control over where I place the paint, especially on uneven surfaces.
I think I actually prefer the original background, but this color works better for our walls.
I hung it in our master bath at one end of the vanity. You can see the variation in color and sheen more clearly in the reflection in the mirror. Ignore the water spots and spatters….
The board had the dreaded two holes on the back for hanging, so I used the masking tape trick for hanging artwork level.
Here are a few more projects in our master bath: