Hello, friends, how are y’all doing? We are getting sooo close to starting on our house. The grader is supposed to start on the driveway today- woo-hooooo!
Meanwhile, back at the campground…. Space is so limited in our camper that most cooking is of the one pot variety. One of the easiest and least expensive one pot meals I make is Hamburger Soup. Some of you asked for the recipe when I posted it on facebook a couple of weeks ago.
Once upon a time, my grandmother canned soup and I simply heated it up and added a pound of cooked ground beef. Super quick and easy! My favorite meal in college, and continues to be a favorite when fall comes around.
Now that Nanny is no longer canning veggie soup, I have to make my own. But it’s still super easy. After browning and draining your ground beef, add a can of tomato soup, canned tomatoes, diced potatoes and carrots, frozen veggies of choice, and any seasonings you might want to add.
To make it even easier in our close quarters, I used all frozen veggies, no chopping needed.
Hamburger soup is a great way to use leftover veggies.
To keep it gluten free, I use Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce.
Also check labels on tomato soup if you need to stay away from gluten.
This recipe seems to grow while preparing it. If you find you have added “too many” veggies, you can always add another can of tomatoes and another bouillon cube.
Here is my “official” Hamburger Soup recipe:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- Additional veggies (frozen or left overs, such as corn, green beans, etc.)
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef, onions, and green pepper. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until veggies are tender.
- To make this gluten free, I use Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce and gluten free tomato soup. Always check all labels, as ingredients can change.
- If you find you have added "too many" veggies, simply add another can of chopped tomatoes and another beef bouillon cube. A small amount of water can be added as well.
What is your favorite soup?