I recently had a craving for pumpkin pie- very weird since my cravings almost always involve chocolate. I was too lazy (as usual) to experiment with gluten free pie crust recipes, so I opted to create Pumpkin Spice Muffins instead. Just call me the lazy woman’s muse for gluten free cooking.
Flavors are limited when it comes to gluten free cake mixes, so I used my go-to Betty Crocker Gluten Free yellow cake mix, plus canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
This gluten free cake mix only makes one layer, so if you’re using a regular two-layer mix, adjust your add-ins.
Prepare the mix according to directions, but also add:
2/3 Cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 Teaspoons vanilla
2 Teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Bake according to directions on box. (You may need to adjust baking time.) With the add-ins, this mix made 18 muffins.
Try adding chopped pecans to the batter.
The flavor in these muffins is pretty subtle, so if you’d like more spice, add another 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or extra cinnamon.
1/3 Cup cream cheese, softened
6 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
About 1 Teaspoon milk (as needed to achieve desired consistency)
Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in vanilla and milk (if needed).
NOTE: Be sure to soften the cream cheese first. Yep, I got impatient and ended up with a lumpy glaze.
- 1 box Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to make
- 2/3 c. canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 2 t. vanilla
- 2 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 c. cream cheese, softened
- 6 T. powdered sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- About 1 t. milk
- Prepare mix according to directions on box. Stir in additional cake ingredients.
- Bake according to directions on cake mix, adjusting time as needed.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in vanilla and enough milk to bring to desired consistency. Spread over muffins.
- For more spice, add another 1/2 to 1 t. pumpkin pie spice.
- This mix makes a 1-layer cake, so if you're using a regular 2-layer mix, adjust add-ins accordingly.
For chocolate cake mix variations, check out my Gluten Free Cupcakes Three Ways.
Richard liked the subtle flavor of these Pumpkin Spice Muffins- he said it didn’t taste so much like “old lady cake.” Whatever that means. 😛
Hands raised if you love pumpkin pie. Is it the pumpkin itself or the blend of spices that you love?