Well, it has only been 4 months since I first told you the sad story of the rocking chair I rescued from GW. I felt sorry for her, but I have to say, as this rocking chair makeover progressed stumbled along, I had a few moments of tears, hair pulling, and mumbling to myself. There may have been a reason she was so lonely….
First, let’s take a peek at her happy new life:
And then a reminder of what she looked like before:
You would think she would be excited to have a spa day, wouldn’t you? No, she was comfortable in the familiar. First, she got a round of dermabrasion. Sometimes we have to experience a little pain to reach the goal. Sanding. And more sanding. Lots more. Two coats of General Finishes black milk paint, light distressing, and a coat of Minwax wipe on polyurethane.
Next up, a little butt lift. I removed the sagging seat fabric/ duct tape/ whatever it was and stretched upholstery webbing across the opening. NOTE: You really need a webbing stretcher to get it pulled tight enough- otherwise, you’ll have a saggy butt again in no time.
Stapled burlap over the webbing, then added the foam (held into place with spray glue). Next up, batting- pulled and trimmed and stapled into place underneath.
Next, I took her perky new seat to the French countryside for the start of a new outfit. I used drop cloth fabric and the French grain sack graphic from Graphics Fairy.
She needed a skirt to cover her springs. Rather than a ruffled skirt like she had before, I decided to give her an updated look with a shorter pleated skirt and black grosgrain ribbon along the top edge.
Sounds pretty simple so far, right? Whoa, let’s back up a little. Getting the seat fabric around the spindles was a nightmare. I walked away from it so many times, unable to figure out how to clip the fabric around the spindles and still have enough to cover the foam and the seat. If I had any training at all in upholstery, I would have known to sew an insert to fit around the spindles. But it was too late for that.
You may think this is silly, but I pray for inspiration on projects, and I desperately needed some on this one. Finally, I realized I could add a piece of fabric around the spindles, glue it to the seat fabric with fabric glue, and staple underneath. Not perfect, but it works for my skill level.
Ok, my uncooperative little chair also needed a little something-something up top.
I first thought of adding another graphics transfer, but felt it would be too busy. I opted instead for a button tufted pillow using plain drop cloth fabric and black cording. A button at the center on front and back adds a little bling to her outfit.
Whew! This girl was tough!
Oh, but she did finally whisper her name, “Just call me Colette.” I think she likes her new look.
Makes me wonder about my own kicking and screaming when God wants to change me. Always for the better, but not always painless. I’m glad He is much more skilled and patient than I.
Affiliate links to products used in this project: