I could eat potatoes with every meal. Sometimes they are my meal. Two of my favorite potato dishes are cheesy scalloped potatoes and herb roasted potatoes. I decided to try combining the two to make Cheesy Bacon Herb Roasted Potatoes.
In order to get the cheesy goodness of scalloped potatoes, but keep the crusty goodness of roasted potatoes, I made just enough cheese sauce to spread in the bottom of the pan.
The potatoes go over the cheese sauce in a single layer. The potatoes have never had swimming lessons, so they only want to dip their toes into the sauce. Sprinkle the other veggies, bacon, and herbs over the top.
Bake at 400°F for one hour.
The cheese sauce adds just the right amount of creaminess, while most of it bakes into a chewy crust that has the texture and flavor of fried cheese. So good!
I served these Cheesy Bacon Herb Roasted Potatoes with pork tenderloin medallions.
- 3 lbs. potatoes
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1- 2 t. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 t. dried rosemary
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 T. chives
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan
- Melt butter in saucepan, then stir in flour.
- Add milk and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in chives, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Spread over bottom of greased 9x13 pan.
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Spread in single layer in the pan.
- Spread the onions, pepper, bacon, garlic, and rosemary evenly over the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 400°F for one hour.
I created this recipe as part of the Ultimate Recipe Challenge taken on by a group of blogging friends. We love a good challenge and you win the prize- lots of yummy recipes to try.
Simply click on the pictures to take you to the recipe:
[inlinkz_linkup id=613076 mode=1]
What is your favorite way to eat potatoes?