Yeah, I know it’s fall- not the appropriate time for light, refreshing, best ever chicken salad. I can’t help myself. I’m no respecter of seasonal foodstuff. I eat chili in the summertime and chicken salad in the fall. Or any time of year. This week, I had a hankering for chicken salad and wanted to share this yummy recipe with you.
You’ll need 3 cups diced cooked chicken. I used 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, braised in a small amount of water, then cut in small chunks. Let cool or refrigerate until the next day.
8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained. Reserve one tablespoon pineapple juice for the dressing.
1 cup seedless grapes, cut in half. I used black grapes, but any seedless variety will do.
1/2 cup chopped nuts. I used pecans this time, but almonds are also tasty.
A dash or two of salt, if desired. I don’t usually add salt.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons orange juice
1 Tablespoon pineapple juice
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon flakes
Whisk together until smooth.
Fold into chicken mixture.
Serve on a bed of lettuce or tucked into a yummy croissant. Keeping it gluten free, I eat it with my new favorite, pumpkin seed tortilla chips, which makes it a fall food, right?
*The best ever chicken salad is great for breakfast. Yep, I’m no respecter of meals, either.
*Try the dressing on any fruit salad.
- 3 c. diced cooked chicken
- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained. (Reserve 1 T. juice for dressing.)
- 1 c. seedless grapes, cut in half
- 1/2 c. chopped almonds or pecans
- Dash of salt (optional)
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 2 T. orange juice
- 1 T. pineapple juice
- 1/4 t. dried tarragon flakes
- Toss together chicken, fruit, and nuts.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Fold into chicken mixture.
- Serve on bed of lettuce or tucked into a croissant.
- Pumpkin seed tortilla chips are an excellent *gluten-free accompaniment to this chicken salad.
- *Check labels for ingredients.
- Try this dressing on any fruit salad- yum!
Do you eat any non-breakfast foods for breakfast? Do tell!
No longer getting Plum Doodles updates? Try our new subscription service: